In Nigeria, most Catholic parents deeply desire to send their children to Catholic schools, but many are unable to do so. Even though annual tuition for most Catholic schools is less than $50 USD a year, there are many parents who cannot even afford this. And though the parish priest often tries to welcome as many children for free as possible, he is limited in his resources and ability to accept many children who would like to attend one of our schools.
At a Catholic school, not only are the children formed in the beauty of the Catholic faith, but parents also know that Catholic school teachers in Nigeria, despite the fact that many of them make less than $400 a year for their full time salary, are exceptionally dedicated. Also, Catholic schools keep the teacher to student ratio to a minimum so as to provide the best education possible. The education that children receive from Catholic schools in Nigeria is truly second to none.
YOU CAN HELP!
You can help by sponsoring an entire class at a parish school in the Diocese of Ikot Ekpene. Sponsorship starts at only $33 a month (about $1 a day) and provides many needed resources to help these children.
By adopting a school, you will become an important part of these children’s lives and will truly make a difference for them. When you begin your sponsorship, the USA Missions Office will send you information on your adopted school that includes a description, photos and a video overview of the school. We will then keep you updated on a regular basis throughout the year so that you truly become an active part of the lives of these children and can see the blessings your generosity brings.
How Your Donation Helps
Your ongoing donation of just $33 a month will help in many ways. Here are some of those ways:
- You will make it possible for the parish priest to enroll students in your adopted classroom for free whose parents cannot afford the annual tuition.
- You will provide books, writing materials, teaching materials, chalk/marker boards and other items used daily in the classroom for lessons. Most classrooms are currently without even the most basic school supplies.
- Part of your donation may go toward school wide goals such as purchasing one or more computers for classroom instruction. Most elementary students have never even tried a computer, so access to one or more computers at school will help prepare them for the future where computers have become the norm.
- From time to time the students may have an excursion to somewhere that many of the children have never been, such as to the diocesan cathedral, a soccer stadium, a shrine, or other educational and religious activities that will create wonderful and lasting memories for them. Your donation will help provide transportation for them on these excursions.
- Lastly, there are numerous other needs that always arise within our schools. For example, many schools need new classrooms as their school enrollment grows. One basic need is that of maintaining the water pump and holding tank so that fresh water can be acquired each day. Each school needs a minimal supply of diesel fuel for the few times that the generator is used to provide electricity for the school. And there are always various ongoing repairs that arise.
Below are some videos and pictures from some of the Catholic grade schools of our diocese.